LayStar Home > LayStar Magazine > Article: Tortoise has lucky escape from Didsbury house fire


We welcome article submissions from writers - Guide to Article Submissions



<<< Front Cover

You could be missing out. Use the search form on the left to find your location and list any local articles for your area.


Tortoise Has Lucky Escape From Didsbury House Fire

By Kevin Burke
12th May, 2014

An electrical home emergency in Didsbury nearly took the life of a shell-shocked tortoise.

On May 1st at around 13:00, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue went to the scene of the fire at Rayham Avenue, finding a living room fire that appeared to have been going for some time.

Investigations revealed that the fire started in a tortoise tank, which had accidentally overheated. The fire service warned that any electrical domestic appliance can pose a serious danger, and advised people to look for any hazards and arrange prompt repairs whenever a problem is noticed.

When the fire service began to tackle the blaze, they found what Withington Fire Station Watch Manager Matt Dillon described as a "charred lump". This turned out to be the tortoise that resided in the tank. The emergency services initially assumed that the tortoise - named Enzo - had died, but firefighter Andrew Cook made an improvised oxygen tent and cleaned the shell. When the fire service began to pump oxygen into the tent, the tortoise began to wake up.

By the time the emergency services had left the scene, the tortoise was walking around the garden, with Mr Dillon saying it was as if "nothing had happened".

However, the property the electrical home emergency occurred in was not as lucky - the house had suffered significant fire damage, and firefighters needed to strip the living room out and check for further fires with a thermal imaging camera.

Smoke was cleared from the house with a fan, while a hose reel and breathing apparatus were used to tackle the house fire.

Don't let electrics get into a dangerous state - resolve any electrical emergencies immediately with home emergency cover from 247 Home Rescue.

Articles in the Same Category

West Midlands Firm And Director Illegally Performed Dangerous Gas Work For Restaurants For Years

Social Bookmarking





Facebook Twitter Google Technorati.com del.icio.us Yahoo! Fark Furl


<<< Front Cover

You could be missing out. Use the search form on the left to find your location and list any local articles for your area.


Reader Comments

comments powered by Disqus


We welcome article submissions from writers - Guide to Article Submissions

Find us on Facebook