LayStar Home > LayStar Magazine > Article: Unregistered gas fitter from Essex prosecuted for dangerous gas boiler installation


We welcome article submissions from writers - Guide to Article Submissions



<<< Front Cover

You could be missing out. Use the search form on the left to find your location and list any local articles for your area.


Unregistered Gas Fitter From Essex Prosecuted For Dangerous Gas Boiler Installation

By Kevin Burke
2nd May, 2014

This article was submitted on behalf of 247 Home Rescue. If you want high quality boiler breakdown cover, call 01254 355535 today.

An unregistered gas fitter from Essex has been told to complete 150 hours of community work after illegally performing gas work in a Colchester residence.

Colchester Magistrates Court also sentenced 75-year-old William Saint, of Chelmsford's Cherry Blossom Lane, to a four month jail sentence suspended for a year and told him to pay £850 in costs in the hearing on May 1st.

Saint admitted three different breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, which related to his work on gas appliances without the required competencies, that he performed this work without being a member of the Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) approved classes, and that he fitted a gas appliance to a flue without ensuring the flue was suitable and safe.

The court heard that Saint had been hired to fit a gas boiler that would be used to warm up a swimming pool in a Brightlingsea residence on April 1st 2013, despite the fact that he was not a member of the Gas Safe Register. People must be members of this organisation if they are to legally perform gas boiler repairs.

He attempted to install the boiler several times, but it never operated properly. When registered gas fitters later examined the appliance, they classed it as "immediately dangerous".

Saint was advised about the problems in the boiler but failed to repair all the faults. The Gas Safe Register eventually classed the gas boiler as 'at risk' and the HSE was provided with information about the issue. Accordingly, the HSE brought a prosecution against Saint for his health and safety failings.

Following the hearing, Vicky  Fletcher, HSE Inspector, argued the perpetrator was "well aware" of their obligations regarding Gas Safe-registration, but that he decided to "flout the law".

She noted that gas explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning can cost people their lives, stating that it is therefore essential that only trained, competent and registered gas engineers perform work on gas fittings and appliances.

Articles in the Same Category

Fife Council Fined 24k After Ruptured Gas Pipeline Leads To Mass Evacuation
Everything But The Kitchen Sink?
RSPCA Saves Starling From Behind Bungalow Boiler

Social Bookmarking





Facebook Twitter Google Technorati.com del.icio.us Yahoo! Fark Furl


<<< Front Cover

You could be missing out. Use the search form on the left to find your location and list any local articles for your area.


Reader Comments

comments powered by Disqus


We welcome article submissions from writers - Guide to Article Submissions

Find us on Facebook